Re: A fix for the F3 /var/log bug...

Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 12:09:10AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Alfie Costa wrote:

The fix is described (with a patch for '/etc/mc/mc.ext') here:

	Debian Bug report logs - #179350
	mc hangs viewing a .gz file

I believe double hash used in the patch is non-portable.

yep. it's a bash-ism (or a ksh-ism, fwiw).
other than that, i pretty much dislike this directory-based
special-casing. i think my suggestion with "file -z" (or equivalent) is
much cleaner.

greetings

btw, nroff "hangs" on binary files because it refuses to proceed further until somebody reads its stderr, which mc doesn't do during reading its stdout. i personally prefer to append "2> /dev/null" after actions containing nroff in my mc.ext, after which i see malformed file contents, but at least mc doesn't freeze.

--
Jindrich Makovicka