Re: mcedit (allmost)dead-loop and memory leak

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, GoTaR wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 20:36:15 +0400, Dmitry Semyonov wrote:
>
> > > Source of problem is in "..." lines.
> >
> > I don't see any "..." lines in the file.
>
> I mean everything between quotations. In this file every line is between
> them.
>
> > You have forgotten to mention the version of mc.
>
> Default version - the newest one.
>
> > "Search string not found" dialog is displayed almost immediately in
> > mc-4.6.0. No dead-loops, etc.
>
> I've tried my mc-4.6.0 and these two ones:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/utils/file/managers/mc/binaries/RedHat/8.0/mc-4.6.0-2.i386.rpm
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/utils/file/managers/mc/snapshots/mc-2003062221-1.i386.rpm
>
> It takes them a really long time to finish (a few minutes) and memory
> usage grows up (up to a few MB for this file) and doesn't shrink after
> exiting mcedit.

Well, now I see what did you mean. Very unpleasant problem.
I am able to reproduce it with
mc-4.6.0-4 rpm (RedHat's one?) on another machine:
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike) (Linux 2.4.20-18.9)

$ mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.0
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, undelfs
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
With support for X11 events
With internationalization support

On the other hand mc-4.6.0 that I compiled from official sources some
time ago is working fine. Options for configure were the following:
--disable-dependency-tracking --disable-nls --enable-charset --with-x

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla) (Linux 2.4.21)

$ mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.0
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
With support for X11 events
With multiple codepages support

...Bye..Dmitry.