Linking on Solaris x86

Hello All,

It seems that linking  for some compile-time
and also run-time libraries for mc on Solaris x86
is not being done properly by configure. The first
problem I noticed was:

compilation of man2help failed: libglib-2.0 not found

next, mc would not run without setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
which when set to point to the X libs and the location of your
Glib implementation,  everything was OK.

Since besides that this would be improper use of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and also that it creates a hurdle for
people installing mc on Solaris, Can I please request that
someone with more experience (than me!!) in hacking the
configure script look at this or tell me how I might
be able to help fix the problem.

What I did on one system to repair the problem:
(believe me, I don't mean to imply that this is _the_
way to fix it, it's just how I got around it quickly)

edited mc-4.6.0-pre3/src/Makefile

added dirctory containing glib implementation as
last argument to CFLAGS:

CFLAGS = -g -O2 -Wall -L/usr/local/lib
so man2help compilation succeeded.

and for runtime linking appended X-libs directory and
Glib-2.0 directory to LDFLAGS:

LDFLAGS = -R/usr/local/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib
(which origonally was empty)
On this system I'm using Sun's Xserver, but on a system
implementing XFree86 the runtime link directory would
be something like "-R/usr/X11/lib"

the configure log and Makefiles can be seen here:
(just point your web browser to:)
ftp://208.45.73.59/pub/mc/Config.log    (./configure >& Config.log)
ftp://208.45.73.59/pub/mc/Makefile.edited
ftp://208.45.73.59/pub/mc/Makefile.orig
ftp://208.45.73.59/pub/mc/config.log  (excerpt)

let me know if I can be of any help

btw, this has (in my experience?!?) been true
with all versions of mc. I allways just put
a wrapper on mc for the linking.

Tribhuvan