Re: title refreshing (xtt) and the 4.6.0 release

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:39:10AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> I'm really surprised by the amount of interest to this topic and by the
> amount of time spent on it.  I even start thinking that maybe I shouldn't
> have applied the patch for changing the title, because the time spent on
> this issue could have been better spent on something else.

You are right, this issue takes too much time. But I fell obligated to
resolve this properly, as I was the one who made the mess by improving
the xterm-title :) Moreover it would be easier if you give us a clear
statement what you will accept and what you won't accept, and when.

My opinion is that xterm restoring is not critical, and if it will be
included in mc it can't give user any discomfort (timeouts) or force
him to change anything (conffiles). It also has to be clean and simple
coded (no offense Tribhuvan, but we should keep the simple thing
simple - that's the Unix way) and has to have some fallback when sth
goes wrong (depending on console i/o is not reliable imo).

Xlib approach satisfies this conditions. It fails in some cases, but
qis is so important? vim people use this, so maybe there isn't any
better way?

(If somebody knows how to obtain X windowid without WINDOWID env
variable, tell me)

Regards
alpha

--

  _.|._ |_  _.    : Adam Byrtek, alpha@(irc.pl|debian.org)
 (_|||_)| |(_|    : gg 1802819, pgp 0xB25952C0