Re: AMC merge patch #2

Hi,

> > The saga continues, this time with EXTfs and Syntax files updates:
> >
> > Changes included in patch: (all merged in from AMC version mc-4.1.35-A12pre)
> >
> > - EXTFS Support for the ESP archiver ('uesp' added where needed)
>
> I have never heard of ESP.

Is it enough reason to refuse the patch?
It's an old DOS archived written by me and some others. It was widely used
around '97 under DOS. SInce I have lots of .esp files i've ported the
archiver to linux few years ago and added support for it in mc too.

> "Icon=compressed.xpm" is wrong.  There is no compressed.xpm in the current

possible. what is the replacement?
it comes from 4.1.35 where it did exists (probably) at least i copied it
from another archiver's (probably .zip i don't remember) entry.

since i'm using mc on console, i don't see icons so hard to notice if no
such icon...

> code.  If you don't check your changes, somebody else will have to do it
> for you.
>
> That's precisely a defect that cannot be found by the end users.  You are
> adding an obsolete keyword, which has no effect.  However, add 100
> obsolete keywords, and mc.ext becomes much harder to understand by
> developers, let alone users trying to customize it.

ok

> > - (commented out) support for .deb on dpkg-less systems
> >   (users just need to move # 2 lines up :))
>
> Believe me, 99% of users won't know about that commented piece.  The fix
> belongs to the "udeb" script that should be able to fallback to using ar
> if dpkg is missing or doesn't work.

yes it was discussed later (after i sent the patch)

> > - New .syntax files for BAssPasC, Macro-HTML, J(Dis)Asm languages
>
> I only heard of jdisasm of all those.
great...

> I'm not sure that most *.mac files
> are written in Macro-HTML.  I think I'll put this to the "contrib" section
> of the website.

basspasc is an old assembly extension language for DOS, written by me and
others... (as usual) unless you was interested in asm optimization under DOS
that times it's no wondenr if you don't know it.
macro-html is not a widely known thing, i've wrote it to generate webpages
from templates using basspasc-like syntax macros...

> > - (mostly) Color changes in HTML, LSM, Makefile .syntax files, to make
> >   them (more) readable on blue background
> >   (who the fsck thought that dark brown on dark red is readable?)
>
> I don't remember seeing dark brown on dark red in any highlighted files.

see the comments (// or /* */) in any .c file... unreadable!
maybe i should buy an LCD/TFT instead of my CRT monitor?

> If you mean dark brown on dark blue, that question was raised already, and
> the right fix would be to implement macro definitions for colors.  Then
> you could define the color for comments in one place, and it would affect
> all syntax files using that definition.

it would be great!

> > -context <!-- --> brown
> > -	spellcheck
> > +# modified by A'rpi/ESP-team  <arpi esp-team scene hu>
> >
> > -context <! > brightred/orange
>
> Please avoid placing your name everywhere you change something.  You are

sorry. i'm used to add comments where i modify in other's files, so i can
easily look up where did i touch it. with cvs it has no much sense it's
right, it's an old (and wrong) habbit...

> > +#  Syntax hilight definition file for Midnight Commander / CoolEdit
>
>              highlight                                        Cooledit

i've seen 'hi-lite' used at too many places (other editors) while never
meet highlight. also teh meaning of highlight is a bit funny, at least
high light is nothing close to syntax coloring, imho.

what about the other (much more important) patch-set (AMC #1) ?
yes i know that touching the .c files is very very bad and i shouldn't do
that etc...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

    "However, many people beg for its inclusion in Debian. Why?" - Gabucino
  "Because having new software in Debian is good." - Josselin Mouette
"Because having good software in Debian is new." - Gabucino