Re: mcedit help file

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 11:46:44AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello, Marco!
>
> > In mcedit help file:
> > The completion key also does a Return with an automatic indent.
> > is that true?
>
> In fact, I don't understand what it means.
I too :-P

> This sentence is
> "prehistoric", i.e. is was present in the revision 1.1 of the document,
> imported into the CVS repository on February 27, 1998.
>
> The completion itself was implemented much later:
>
> 2002-01-21  Matthias Urban  <murban cs uni-magdeburg de>
>
>         * edit.c: Add support for CK_Complete_Word event.
>         * editcmddef.h: Likewise.
>         * edit_key_translator.c (cooledit_key_map): Bind Alt-Tab to
>         CK_Complete_Word.
>         (emacs_key_map): Likewise.
>         * editcmd.c: Implement word completion.
>
> I have changed the manual so that it documents the current behavior.
mcedit.1.in but in mc.1.in is the same.

> It's a shame than more efforts are put into translating the manuals than
> into making sure that they are worth translating.  I really appreciate
> that you actually check the text you are translating.  Thank you!
No problem, translating is much difficult and error prone without a full
understanding of the context, so I have to check almost for every sentence...
The real problem is:
	1) there are 2 files describing (more or less) the same thing
	(the internal editor) to keeping in sync: mc.1.in (in the internal
	editor section) and mcedit.1.in
	2) and, more important, there is not a single reference mechanism like
	gettext strings for the manual: i.e. if I change something in
	the main /mc/doc/mc.1.in file, it's really difficult to track the
	changes in all the translated manuals...
Sorry but I have not an answer to the problem...perhaps cutting up the
manuals in pieces and merging the strings together like in po
files...