Re: mc-4.5.55 and -lintl missing

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Hello, Martin!
>
> > >   I've found on Irix 5.5.15 and cc that I have to add -lintl on the link
> > > commandline when linking mc binary. Is this a known problem? Also,
> >
> > I should have tried this before. The -lintl problem seems to be fixed in
> > mc-4.6.0-pre1. But, tests of mc-4.6.0-pre1 show:
>
> Perhaps it's just a side effect of upgrading gettext files in the
> distribution.

Hmm, I'm not sure if that's the reason:

After configuring mc-4.6.0-pre1 I have in config.status:

s,@INTLBISON@,bison,;t t

instead of mc-4.5.55/config.status:

s,@INTLBISON@,:,;t t

(bison-1.35 worked fine). But this is probably the fix in gettextutils.

There's currently:

$ grep INTL config.status
s,@INTLBISON@,bison,;t t
s,@BUILD_INCLUDED_LIBINTL@,no,;t t
s,@USE_INCLUDED_LIBINTL@,no,;t t
s,@INTLLIBS@,-lintl -liconv,;t t
s,@INTLOBJS@,,;t t
s,@INTL_LIBTOOL_SUFFIX_PREFIX@,,;t t
$

so seems that these got removed:

s,@LINTL@,,;t t
s,@INTLDEPS@,,;t t

But I guess original @LINTL@ is now @INTLLIBS@ and this is I think the
real fix for my problem. When linking mc, -lintl was used used on my box
(Irix 6.5.15f).

Actually, I think I've seen more notes related to -lintl in the Changelog
(either for mc-4.5.55 or 4.6.0-pre1), but I see now there's only only one
note in src/Changelog from:

Thu May 14 01:56:11 1998  Norbert Warmuth  <k3190 fh-sw de>

I wanted to say that I do not where where this change from LINTL to
INTLLIBS happened. But that;'s not my problem.

> > checking rpcsvc/yp_prot.h usability... no
> > checking rpcsvc/yp_prot.h presence... yes
> > configure: WARNING: rpcsvc/yp_prot.h: present but cannot be compiled
>
> The problem seems to be between your compiler and your headers.

It seemed to me that one has to include probably mode system header files
on this version, but I'm not a programmer so you are supposedly right.

--
Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs natur cuni cz>, <m mokrejs gsf de>
PGP5.0i key is at http://www.natur.cuni.cz/~mmokrejs