Re[2]: problem with nls on AIX

Hello!

> > > I suspect the problem could be with gettext.0.11.5.tar.Z package from
> > > aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu (earlier I was using gettext.0.11.1 and
> > > it was OK), but looking at /usr/local/lib/libintl.a or
> > > mc-build.nls/intl/libintl.a I see these symbols (but with one dot
> > > before, not 2, i.e. ".libintl_gettext") inside.
> >
> > Could you please try "--with-included-gettext" option?
>
> I used this option with autogen.sh, is it OK?

As we can see below, it is still not OK.  Please remove the gettext
package completely, including the headers, and try the latest mc snapshot.

> I get the same error, even after removing /usr/local/lib/libintl.a.

Possible causes:
1) Your "make" is buggy and didn't recompile everything.
2) There is a problem in the headers of the gettext package.
3) There is some other library (i.e. iconv) that causes the trouble.
4) There is a bug in GNU gettext, which causes it not to disable
redirection even if "--with-included-gettext" is specified.

> Just FYI I here is the linking line:
>
>         gcc -I/usr/local/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include
> -g -O2 -Wall -o mc achown.o background.o boxes.o chmod.o chown.o cmd.o
> color.o command.o complete.o cons.handler.o dialog.o dir.o dlg.o ext.o
> file.o filegui.o filenot.o fileopctx.o find.o findme.o fsusage.o help.o
> hotlist.o info.o key.o keyxdef.o layout.o learn.o listmode.o main.o
> menu.o mountlist.o mouse.o option.o panelize.o popt.o poptconfig.o
> popthelp.o poptparse.o profile.o regex.o rxvt.o screen.o setup.o slint.o
> subshell.o terms.o text.o textconf.o tree.o treestore.o user.o util.o
> utilunix.o view.o widget.o win.o wtools.o ../edit/libedit.a
> ../slang/libmcslang.a ../vfs/libvfs-mc.a ../intl/libintl.a -liconv
> -L/usr/local/lib -lglib -lcurses -liconv

Where does libiconv come from?

> collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: ..libintl_gettext
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: ..libintl_bindtextdomain
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: ..libintl_textdomain
> ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.

What do those options show?

My guess is that the unresolved symbols come from intl/intl-compat.c
It would be interesting to see the output of configure and the
output of "nm intl/intl-compat.o"

Actually, this discussion belongs to the gettext mailing list.  I don't
see anything mc-specific here.  If you do, then please explain.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin