Re: midnight bug - feature request

BÁRTHÁZI András wrote:
Hi!

I've read in the archive, that somebody else has asked

for position
saving before. You told, that there's no really need for

it. I don't
think so: all the people I know using Midnight told me during our conversations, that it would be a good feature.

Max Schedriviy even proposed a patch. http://mail.gnome.org/archives/mc-devel/2001-July/msg00003.html

I've made two patches:

bracket matching
----------------
the original version highlights just the matching bracket. my version
highlights both the current and matching brackets. additionally when you
are on the next character after a closing bracket, it works like if you
are on that bracket. i think it works great, and _very_ usable. bracket
jumping (Meta/Alt-B) is working the same way: if you are after a closing
bracket, it jumps to its matching opening bracket.

file position saving
--------------------
the original version doesn't stores file position. my version, based on
Max Schedrivy's patch above, can save file positions for the last 1024
files edited. Max's version just stored file line, i improved it to
store column, too. file position saving can be turned on/off in the
editor's configuration, at the "General" options.

You can download my version from:
http://www.wish.hu/mc-2002-11-20-17-patched.zip

The version I've patched:
http://www.wish.hu/mc-2002-11-20-17.tar.gz

It will be fine if you upload patches somethere and give us URLs.
Your changes will be never commited to CVS until you produce patches.
It is not too hard to produce patches and it saves a lot of time for
developers because it is more clear what is changed.
On other hand I will never download too tarballs just to see differences. It will take some days to download over 33.6 Kbod modem.
And don't use zip, please.  This one is not from Unix world.

Anyway it is good to see new contributors here.  Go ahead, and we will help.

--
Regards,
Andrew V. Samoilov