Re: mtools extfs script patch proposal

Hi!

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> I don't like this approach.  It means registering a separate extfs for
> each drive.  If we are going to support all letters, it will be 26 scripts
> or symlinks.  It's almost like having a separate script for every zip
> file.

Yes, I don't like this approach too. But it was the only way how to get it
working without a C code change.

> You are trying to make it work in a wrong way and then complain that it
> doesn't work right.  I know the script itself takes the drive letter from
> its name.  But extfs doesn't know that.

Well, yes, but extfs doesn't even know that it is the same driver (a, c,
d) and so it should not cache it IMHO.

> What if we implement something like this:
>
>   VFS name                mtools/dos name
>
> /#dos:a/                  a:\
> /#dos:c/dos/sys.com       c:\dos\sys.com
>
> That would require one script, "dos" (maybe we should use some other name
> for it), and it would interpret the first part of the path as the disk
> name.

This was exactly the thing I wanted to do, but the extfs engine doesn't
give me the 'in archive' path to the "list" command. It puts there the
archive name when the extfs.ini entry is not ending with a colon, but it
puts not the 'in archive' path there as an argument to the script. This
would require changes at least in the extfs.c/open_archive() function.
Anyway I can try to implement these changes....

best regards

STan