Re: [BUG] Disappearing of first line after Ctrl-Y

Hello!

> > At first your patch cannot be applied clearly because it is in DOS
> > format (carriage return before newline).
>
> Strange, I don't see any 0x0D codes in the attached patch.

It's a bug (a.k.a. feature that cannot be turned off) in Pine.  I'm using
Pine too, and I never send plain text attachments for that reason - I
compress them by gzip or send them inline, like you did this time.  Pine
itself strips DOS newlines from text attachments created by another Pine,
but other mail programs keep DOS newlines.

I remember that I reported this bug long long ago, but got no reply.
Maybe it's time to fix it and send them a patch.

> But if mc sources have strictly defined coding style, I would like to
> read it, and will follow it for possible mc contributions. I've just
> read doc/DEVEL, and I guess a note about using of 'indent' utility is
> only a recommendation, not the MUST USE rule.

It's a recommendation.  Your patch should not be disqualified because you
didn't indent it - it's trivial for somebody else to do.  You would just
save some time for those who will review and apply your patch if you
follow the existing recommendations.

On the other hand, if you write complex code and omit comments, that's not
trivial to fix, and that could disqualify your patch.  It's just an
example - this patch is simple.

> BTW, why default script for external formatter uses different indent
> arguments than defined in docs/DEVEL?

Because mc doesn't force its own coding style on other programs.

Actually, it's good that you have noticed it.  I think we can remove all
arguments to indent in edit.indent.rc, so that the style is determined by
~/.indent.pro only.

I'll review your code tonight.  It's not something I can apply without
testing.  Thank you for your patch!

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin