Re: regex fix for cygwin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew V. Samoilov" <kai cmail ru>
To: "Pavel Roskin" <proski gnu org>
Cc: "Alexander Varakin" <avarakin00 hotmail com>; <mc-devel gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: regex fix for cygwin

> Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >

> >>I agree that we must use the second approach, i.e.:
> >>
> >>1. Use the mc's regex code, i.e. src/regex.c and src/eregex.h.
> >>Maybe we should rename src/regex.c to src/eregex.c just to be
consistent?

> > I would rather call them both regex.* unless it causes problems (it
should
> > not).
> >

> >>2. Reenable the mc's regex code for all platforms, i.e. remove those
"#if
> >>0"  from  src/regex.c and src/eregex.h
> >>

> > Take the latest regex sources from gnu.  It is Ok if all code is
disabled
> > when GNU libc is found - libc should provide the same functions,
although
> > I'm a bit worried if those internal functions can be used - if not, then
> > the included regex should be used.
> >
> > Important is that either you disable all or you enable all.  No mix of
> > libc regex and included regex.
> >

> >>3. Replace all instances of  #include "regex.h"  by  #include "eregex.h"
> >>

> > Or vice versa, but make sure that the included regex.h has preference.
> >
> I use Slackware 7.1 with glibc-2.1.3.  After March 18
> mc compiles and use its own regex.c and ignores glibc's
> ones.  And I am not happy with ~28k overhead and 6 warnings.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Andrew V. Samoilov.

Hi Andrew,

I don't understand - are you saying that after March 18 you can't compile
mc?
I agree that having extra 6 warnings from regex.c is not good. I took this
version of regex.c from the latest stable release of glibc - 2.2.5. Maybe we
should escalate this issue to glibc folks, or just fix this warnings.
I don't think we should worry about ~28k overhead - people are switching
from CDs to DVDs and from 32 bits to 64 bits already , whereas MC can fit on
just few floppies.

Alex