Re: Include glib into mc distribution?

Hello!

> If I want to install mc on any of those machines using binaries which I
> downloaded from the inetrnet I have to ask  a sysadmin to install THREE
> packages - mc, glib and libintl.

Well, in this case you are talking about binaries.  The problem is, I have
no influence on the package builders.  I can also imagine that they have
more that one project using glib and libintl.

I think that good sysadmins will rather install 3 packages in the native
format and made by teams who are experienced in making packages for that
OS rather than a binary tarball from any single person, even the
maintainer of the package.

> You can imagine what they say if I would ask them to do so!

I really don't see any difference between installing one package and
instaling 3 packages.

> But I am sure I could convince them to install just ONE package - mc, which
> includes all packages.

I'm not sure.

> So my only option is to build all myself , which is again a hassle - I have
> to build all three packages in my home directory instead of just one.
> I am sure there are many people around in similar situation and many just
> give up on using mc.

You don't have to build gettext unless you really want translated
messages.

Regarding glib, I consider making a separate source distribution for those
who don't want to install glib.

Another option would be to use compiled but not installed glib to compile
mc.  I'll think about it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin