html.syntax

 I've been messing with the syntax file for HTML. It's hard work because there are many places where you need contexts within other contexts and if you try to use a keyword as a pseudo-context you are limited by newline characters.

Let's summarize so you can choose and merge:

a) This is a MUST. References can't have the "whole" attribute because they are usually in the middle of words and they are ignored:

    keyword &*; white/12

    prefixásuffix

b) I've heavily coloured the DOCTYPE tag and the HTML version is highlighted (very nice!!!). It's a good thing to enforce standards even if they are $propietary$. It may need some tweaking because I only tried the W3C official DTD's.

c) Use cyan (darker) for closing tags . Not essential.

d) Use yellow (lighter) for top level tags (html, body, stc.)

e) Remark styles as used in CSS. Class, id and pseudo-classes selections are colored. I had problems with color styles (color:#990000) because of the #, same as in the id selector. May need some tweaking.

b) Remark embedded scripts.

I agree to remove tag names and properties, and these are just to enforce the block structure of the file.

There is a css.syntax for Cooledit, but it has similar structure to the old syntax.html. Take a look.

Now for the bad things.

a) We have problems with quoted "" strings within the  context when they spread in several lines. I see no way to higlight &xxx; references in them. Same for style definitions {} within the
b) You may dislike the colors...

c) No clue about color numbers, as in yellow/24. I wrote them in a pseudo-random way.

About tidy, it's the only command line checker I know. It's sponsored by W3C and it seems to be included in recent Linux distributions. Try the latest version at SourceForge with the options I sent.

*8-) David

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com