Re: Possibility of Colorer usage (was: php syntax)

Hi, Max!

> > I understand that for the recent "converts" from Windows lack of Far
> > Manager is pretty frustrating, but I don't like the idea of rewriting
> > Colorer in C and maintaining a forked version, while keeping it compatible
> > with the new data files from the "official" version.
> I see only one way to solve this and similar problems. mc must have it's own
> API for plugins and if somebody need features in mc, he may write this
> feature separated, without any changes in mc. There is only problem is
> develop and write plugin API for mc.

Does anybody have any expeience with any plugin API?  Should it provide
access to specific components, like the menu and the key assignments or
should it simply allow the code to call any functions and change the
memory?

It the later case, what should be done to allow overriding a particular
function?  Is it possible to allow using the same version of the plugin
with different versions of the host program (mc) and vice versa?

Is it possible to use dynamic loading functionality provided by libtool or
glib?  How would it affect versioning?

> External editor not always work good. For example, it couldn't set line on
> search results.

Because we don't have an API :-)

We could make MC check MCEDITOR variable before EDITOR and recognize some
patterns as the file name and the line number, e.g.

MCEDITOR="emacs +%l %f"
MCEDITOR="fooedit %f:%l"

--
Regards,