Re: Midnight Commander and bison 1.29

> > Sorry for offtopic answer to an offtopic question.
>
> Why offtopic ? The configure test for bison in Midnight
> Commander CVS fails with the new version, 1.29.

You didn't mention that you were running configure for Midnight Commander.
You didn't mention Midnight Commander at all, let alone it's version.
You didn't mention your OS, shell or anything possibly related to the
problem.
You didn't mention whether you tried to locate the problem.

If you read your message again, you will see that it looks like a
vague bugreport to GNU Bison.

> configure:5235: checking for bison
> configure:5250: found /usr/bin/bison
> configure:5258: result: bison
> configure:5271: checking version of bison
> configure:5280: result: v. ?.??, bad

That's trivial.  The test comes from gettext.  It assumes a certain format
of the bison version string.

See the difference:

$ ~/src/bison-1.29/src/bison --version
bison (GNU Bison) 1.29

Copyright 1984, 1986, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
PURPOSE.

$ /usr/bin/bison --version
GNU Bison version 1.28

The sed expression in AM_WITH_NLS from gettext 0.10.39 assumes that there
is a space after "GNU Bison".

If you spent five minutes looking into this problem, you would already
know that its a Bison vs. gettext problem, even if you are not familiar
with sed expressions.

> BTW, are these tests of any use ?
>
> checking for netscape... no
> checking for arena... no
> checking for Mosaic... no
> checking for chimera... no

How about scanning the sources for X11_WWW?

> checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers
> checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
>
> The last 2 are for --with-tm-x-support ?

Yes.

> BTW, I noticed the following in configure:
>
>   --with-x                use the X Window System
>   --with-tm-x-support        Try getting events from X Window
> System
> --with-vfs                 Compile with the VFS code
> --with-ext2undel           Compile with ext2 undelete code
>
> Notice the 2 spaces ? I'm using Autoconf 2.52 and Automake
> 1.5.

So what do you suggest?

--
Regards,