Re: Midnight Commander within console in UTF-8 mode

Hello Pavel!

--- Pavel Roskin <proski gnu org> wrote:
> My guess is that MC is most likely not responsible for that.  You
> could
> check how the screen library (included S-Lang, system installed
> S-Lang,
> ncurses) affects this behavior.  Also you could look into
> "Options->Display bits..." in MC and make sure that you have "Full
> 8 bits
> output" enabled.
8 bits are defenitely turned on, and I'll try to play with those
libraries soon.

> You could also describe your environment better so that I could try
> it for
> you.  I cannot even get "ls -l" to work properly.  What version of
I am using Mandrake 8.1:
linux-2.4.12, glibc-2.2.4, KDE 2.2.1, XFree 4.1.0, mc-4.5.55

two commands to try:
$ export LC_ALL=ru_RU.UTF-8
$ echo -en "\\033%G"

First one forces console to display dates in russian with UTF-8
encoding (BTW "LANG" won't do that), and second will force console
program to display UTF-8 output correctly (you'll need unicode font).
Then if you type 'ls -l' all the dates will be displayed correctly in
russian. Again if you do "more utf8.txt" where utf8.txt is text file
in UTF-8 it will be displayed correctly. With xterm you should use
option "-u8"