Re: your mail

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 06:26:48 -0500 (EST)
Pavel Roskin <proski gnu org> wrote:

> Hello, Vassili!
>
> > > Could you please remind me what you patch was and what software it was
> > > for?  If there is a mailing list for that project, please copy to the
> > > mailing list - you mail will be archived and maybe somebody else will
> > > answer you.
> > Patch for MC - aligned extensions. Im not very keen to the idea of subscribing to
> > yet another mailing list (too many already).
>
> I remember answering that e-mail, but I cannot find either your original
> mail or my reply in the mailing list archives.
>
> My answer was that aligning the extensions is wrong because this would
> make the filenames ambigous.  UNIX allows spaces in the filenames, so
> "filename ext" may be a valid name.
Nobody forces you to use it, thats why config.c (if my memory serves me)
was modifed to look for align_extensions=1 in ini. Id argue that the visual feedback
aligned extensions provides far outweights 2 problem it introduces: first being the
one you presented and second multiple dot's in filename. The idea is not mine,
i stole it from win32 file manager FAR(http://www.rarsoft.com/far_manager.htm)
all win32 filesystem can have spaces in filenames aswel, that didnt stop FAR
author from introducing this behavior (again in FAR its optional aswel).

I urge MC developers/users to try it, its good... really.. >B)

--
mailto:malc pulsesoft com