Re: [bugreport] can't search files containing text in .tar[.gz] files, misc bugreports and wishitems

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Pavel Roskin wrote:
[..]
> mc-4.5.35-xtermcolor.patch - Ximian-specific hack - xterm may be
> black-white, it's just _believed_ to support color on all systems
> supported by Ximian.

Instead believig this kind things it will be better if Xiniam people will
change own xterm programs for negotiate not TERM=xterm but
TERM=xterm-color :> (??)

$ TERM=xterm tput colors
-1
$ TERM=xterm-color tput colors
8
$ TERM=linux tput colors
8
$ TERM=linux-m tput colors
-1

(-1 means terminal is *mono*)

"Beliving" or not TERM=xterm is color terminal is "Bad Design (TM)".
Instead beliving better look into terminal database and check "colors"
term sequence. Current MC have also some "Bad Design (TM)" things like
handling in ini file section like:

[Colors]
color_terminals=<list_terminal_types>

IMHO thing like this will be better remove from MC.

Yes I know many Linux distribution have incorrecly builded xterm emulation
applications (but some not) which negotiates instead TERM=xterm-color bad
TERM=xterm which drives some developers to implement "Bad Design (TM)".
But sorru - no excuses .. all xterm, aterm, rxvt and many othes are realy
*color* terminals and for allow using colors in proper way in applications
all this xterm applications must be fixed for negotiate TERM=xterm-color :>

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek rudy mif pg gda pl*