Re: New website and ftp server

Hi, Andrew and Miguel!

> Well, I will remail you a letter from Miguel some later.  As far as I
> remember I sent it to you privately but you did not answer me.

I'm sorry.  I must have missed that e-mail.  Everything is fine now.  I
have updated LATEST-IS (but it hasn't propagated to ftp.gnome.org when I'm
writing it).  I'll probably upload the snapshots there if I find an
appropriate directory ("stable" in the path may be misleading).

Unfortunately, reusing the directory structure of ftp.gnome.org can make
some people think that MC is a GNOME program, especially if I put
snapshots to /ftp/pub/GNOME/testing.  I need to think more about it.

> >2) Slowliness of ftp.gnome.org (it redirects to a site in Sweden).  I had
> >reports from Eupore that ibiblio.org is faster than ftp.gnome.org, even
> >though the former is in the United States.
>
> I have no problem with ftp.gnome.org from Ukraine but one is German/Sweden message.
> One time I even tninked ftp.gnome.org is hacked.

There is no German message there.  But there is an interesting
English message there:

This ftp server belongs to ACC and the disk space is generously sponsored
by South Pole AB and CodeFactory AB.
Please use http://ftp.acc.umu.se/ whenever possible.

I think it's quite unfortunate to see that ftp.gnome.org doen't belong to
the GNOME project.

> >By the way, could you please explain what was "terrible" and why do you
> >think that the location was changed twice?  I would like to be aware of
> >possible problems.
>
> Firstly last release had moved to http://www.gnome.org/projects/mc,
> and now it is going to ibiblio.org.  Some people are waiting for "stabilization"
> in this question.  And some days ago I sow a book in Moscow with hardcoded
> mc's source location.

I see.  You mentioned that the location changed twice in one _week_,
perhaps you meant one year.  If you want stabilization, don't use any URLs
containing "gnome".  MC is not a GNOME project.  It's using some GNOME
resources because its developers cannot afford running a separate server.

Short answer - use http://www.midnightcommander.org/

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin