Re: New website and ftp server

Hi, Pavel!

>> What a reason to change location?  I mailed Miguel and as far as I know
>> you must have account at ftp.gnome.org.  Location was changed twice this week,
>> and it is terrible.  Some people don't want download 4.5.55 even from
>> http://www.gnome.org/projects/mc and don't close bugs fixed in 4.5.55
>> at http://bugzilla.gnome.org until  it will be uploaded to ftp://ftp.gnome.org.
>
>I still don't have the account on ftp.gnome.org.  All talks about it had
>no result.  Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand what may be
>required from me to get access.  If the account was created and I missed
>the e-mail (unlikely but possible) I apologize.

Well, I will remail you a letter from Miguel some later.  As far as I remember I sent
it to you privately but you did not answer me.

>Use my public key to send me sensitive information.  It available at
>http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/pubring.gpg.asc

Ok.  But after I will get back home.

>The reasons to change the site were:
>
>1) I have no access to ftp.gnome.org
>
>2) Slowliness of ftp.gnome.org (it redirects to a site in Sweden).  I had
>reports from Eupore that ibiblio.org is faster than ftp.gnome.org, even
>though the former is in the United States.

I have no problem with ftp.gnome.org from Ukraine but one is German/Sweden message.
One time I even tninked ftp.gnome.org is hacked.

>3) An e-mail from ibiblio.org asking where is the master FTP site for MC
>(I had to answer that there was no such thing).
>
>4) Hardware problems on red-bean.com, where the MC snapshots were
>published.  It was assumed that I only keep my personal data there, and
>placing snapshots on a system with a 94% full non-upgradeable (ancient
>SCSI) hard drive wasn't nice towards other people who wanted to put their
>personal pages there.
>
>5) The GNOME ftp is structured in a way that is not convenient for MC
>users.  /pub/gnome contains directories stable, testing and unstable.
>Whether MC will be spread across those directories or put into "stable"
>only, there will be confused users who cannot find what they want.
>
>I have no problems with the GNOME team in general.  I have access to the
>WWW pages.  Hosting of the CVS repository is very important for the MC
>project, especially because GNOME has many translators who automatically
>have access to the MC translations.
>
>The problem is specifically with ftp.gnome.org
>
>> So this site may be used as mirror but primary sites must be *.gnome.org.
>
>I would consider it if at least some of the above problems are solved.
>
>By the way, could you please explain what was "terrible" and why do you
>think that the location was changed twice?  I would like to be aware of
>possible problems.

Firstly last release had moved to http://www.gnome.org/projects/mc,
and now it is going to ibiblio.org.  Some people are waiting for "stabilization"
in this question.  And some days ago I sow a book in Moscow with hardcoded
mc's source location.

--
Regards,
Andrew.