Re: Gnumeric still available?

Hi,

(list only, CCing marketing-list, setting follow-up there)

On 02/13/2012 10:48 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 16:22 -0800, Steve Talley wrote:
  I just went to your website, and it wasn't clear to me how to
download Gnome, which I did some months ago, and which provided
Gnumeric and many other free applications.

If you go to http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/ there is a "Find out how to
get GNOME 3" link at the bottom leading to
http://www.gnome.org/getting-gnome/ which includes a "Distributions"
section.

If you would "just" like to download Gnumeric I would recommend
http://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/ as a start.

This raises an interesting point about the GNOME web page - we don't currently provide an easy way to find/find out about GNOME applications (hosted on gnome.org) which aren't part of the GNOME desktop, outside of the few applications we promote on gnome.org/applications

http://projects.gnome.org/ gives an index, looking through the list, some interesting apps we could promote are Abiword, Balsa, Banshee, Déjà Dup, Dia, F-Spot, GIMP, Gnumeric, GNU Cash, Hamster (although I think this is included in GNOME now?), Inkscape, Nanny, PDF Mod, Planner, Rhythmbox, Tasque, X-Chat...

Some of these are not hosted on gnome.org - Banshee, GIMP, GNU Cash, Inkscape, X-Chat all have their own websites, and for good reason. Some of them are on Launchpad (Déjà Dup, for example). And several excellent GNOME applications (like Shotwell, SimpleScan, Sound Juicer, for example) don't get a mention on the progects.g.o page at all.

It'd be nice if we could help these projects with their SEO and get them more visibility as the "headline" GNOME applications - those we know make users happy and have great integration and a decent degree of functionality and maturity. On that score, I would exclude Dia and GNUCash because they haven't kept up with the platform, but the others are all excellent GNOME apps.

Perhaps gnome.org/applcations is the place for us to promote these applications? How can we do so in a sustainable and SEO-friendly way? We already promote some GNOME applications there - including apps like Cheese which are included in the desktop but which benefit from people knowing what they are.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary