Re: "We are GNOME" movie

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 10:24 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> I noticed the following:
> http://launch.wearemaersk.com/
>
> It is a movie which pretty much explains the goal of a company. It also
> talks about some challenges.
>
> I think it would be nice to have a movie like that to explain GNOME. And
> then something which is not out of date within a year. I guess it is
> very difficult to produce, but it would be nice to have such a video.
>
> The goal would be to show it on www.gnome.org, and we could show it
> during conferences. We'd need captions for conferences though.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Olav

We need captions at all times, not just at conferences.  :-)  Some of
us, including me, are Deaf and can't follow the online videos without
some kind of subtitling.   It's getting to be a problem as more and more
things are going towards video and it pushes out the Deaf community as
potential adopters of $opensource-project.  And there is a significant
amount of people with hearing loss in the world.   For example in the
US, it is estimated that 10% of the population has a hearing loss.  That
amounts to over 30-million people.

Furthermore, captioning expands our reach across language barriers.
With the option to select the caption in a language of your choice, we
reach multiple countries with the same video.  Also, the captions help
increase search-engine indexing quality.  Search engines can scan text
(captions) for keywords, but not videos themselves.  :-)

I would love to see the open source community evolve its thinking to
integrate captioning at all times, and not just for specific things like
conferences.

(stepping off soapbox)

Bryen M Yunashko