Re: push back on negative articles

>________________________________

[I copy my message in the right thread, that I wrote in the wrong thread before (sorry!) ]

In the Spanish Track in GUADEC (GUADEC-ES), Germán Póo-Caamaño gave a
good talk about how to deal with misinformation. He recommended the
Debunking Myths Handbook: http://sks.to/debunk

"Debunking myths is problematic. Unless great care is taken, any effort to debunk
misinformation can inadvertently reinforce the very myths one seeks to correct. To
avoid these “backfire effects”, an effective debunking requires three major elements.
First, the refutation must focus on core facts rather than the myth to avoid the
misinformation becoming more familiar. Second, any mention of a myth should be
preceded by explicit warnings to notify the reader that the upcoming information is
false. Finally, the refutation should include an alternative explanation that accounts
for important qualities in the original misinformation."

I think is a worth reading for the marketing team ;-)

Cheers,

    -- Juanjo Marin