Re: On joining the GNOME web team...

Hello,

With the Friends of GNOME mock-up, I was just exploring what the page
could look like with an expanded corporate sponsorship section, as per
Brian Cameron's email [1]. Emily Rose also mentioned the possibility
of different sponsorship levels [2], so this might affect the final
layout too.

Before we change the wording, though, I think the marketing team
should decide on exactly what it should be.

We could just re-work the current FoG page so it has the same wording
as the original but with the new gnome.org theme, so at least it looks
better. Any future decision on changing the wording could be easily
implemented, given the flexibility of the new theme.

I'd also like to suggest that the FoG page be situated at
foundation.gnome.org/friends. It seems that - correct me if I'm wrong
- FoG is really just the fundraising part of the Foundation, and it
would be logical to have it as a part of the Foundation subsite.

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2011-September/msg00079.html
[2] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2011-September/msg00080.html

== The wiki and FTP pages ==

I've just started out with github. My repo for GNOME web work is at [3].

I put the ones and zeros on the wiki page in response to your idea,
Luc, that the wiki design should convey a sense of being a
work-in-progress. I just found it difficult to incorporate an effect
of ripped or crumpled paper into the design - I'm afraid I'm not that
talented. If it could be done, though, and if it looks good, I'd have
no problem with it. I've tested your wiki CSS, Andreas, and it's
coming along very nicely indeed!

With the FTP mock-up, I just put the current monospace content from
[4] and stuck it between the current gnome.org header and footer (with
a bit of CSS in the page to reduce the margin of the <hr> element). If
we want anything other than mono-spacing on the FTP server, I think
we'd have to re-configure the web server to serve up directory pages
with tables or something. I see that getting quite complicated, and
probably being a lot of work.

I'm not sure about the "Up to a higher level directory" wording; I can
only see "Parent Directory" on my end. And when you mention the
footer, Andreas, do you mean the grass at the bottom? is there a cache
of different footers we could pick from, or shall we design a new one
for the FTP site?

[3] https://github.com/pjslavek/GNOMEweb
[4] http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/

Cheers,