Re: Interview members of the advisory board for the GNOME Journal.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
> These questions are a good start, I
> think,

Thanks =)

> but we should also ask questions that are more targeted at the
> particular advisory board member and how that company uses GNOME and
> participates in our community.The more focused the questions we can ask,
> the better the interview will read.

The idea of using standard questions
was that it is easy to manage and we
would quickly get a lot of material
for future publishing.

I'm not opposed to have specific questions
but it will make things a bit more
complicated. Can we ask one or two specific
questions in every interview or is that to weird?
Otherwise we have to do
separate interviews which means
more work, a slower work process,
a non standard format, is it worth it?

Besides I think it can be interesting to read
how different organizations/companies
answer the same questions.

> We may have better access to this kind of information than the advisory
> board rep, if they weren't the company's rep from the beginning. We could
> probably add information like this ourselves in the intro to the
> interview.
> Maybe instead we could ask how that member started using GNOME?

Good idea.

> How about adding some questions like:
>
> * What do you hope will be incorporated into GNOME in the future?
>
> * What do you think GNOME's biggest challenge is?

Great questions.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra google com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
>> I am less interested in internal and more interested in external.  While
>> it's great we interview our people in the advisory board, I would like to
>> see success stories.
>
> Knowing the advisory board is interesting, but I tend to agree that
> stories about successful deployments would be much more useful.

Well I don't see a contraction
there, we can have both =)

I think of the interviews as a bonus that the
reader would get with every edition of
the GNOME journal.

>> Seeing as winners is important.
> People love winners :-).

Part of the reason that interviewing
the advisory board is interesting it's
because the members are successful.
It would be an opportunity to recognize
that successful organizations/companies support GNOME
and get an insight about why and which role
GNOME have in their (successful) organization/company.

--
-Mvh Oliver Propst