Re: ROUGH draft of GNOME 3.0 press release (request for comments)

Sumana:

On 03/28/11 07:24 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
Groton, MA, April 6 2011: Today the GNOME Desktop project releases GNOME
3.0, its first major release in nine years. A revolutionary new user
interface, new features for developers, and a stronger accessibility
foundation make this a historic moment for the Linux desktop.

GNOME works on many operating systems that are not "Linux", such as FreeBSD and Solaris. Could we please use a more general term? I think
more simply saying "make this a historic moment for the free and open
source desktop" would be more inclusive and avoid this issue.

The GNOME 3 platform consists of the GNOME Shell and the GNOME 3
development foundation. The GNOME Shell reimagines the user interface
for the next generation of the Free & Open Source desktop. The
innovative GNOME Shell allows users to focus on tasks while minimizing
distractions such as notifications, extra workspaces, and background
windows.

Jon McCann, one of GNOME Shell's designers, describes it as
"ineffable...We've taken a pretty different approach in the GNOME 3
design that focuses on the desired experience and lets the interface
design follow from that.... With any luck you will feel more focused,
aware, effective, capable, respected, delighted, and at ease."

I like the above quote, though I am not sure that "With any luck" is
the best wording.  If Jon is agreeable, perhaps this could be slightly
reworded to be a bit more assertive that GNOME will provide benefits
without needing luck.

GNOME
Shell aims to "[h]elp us cope with modern life in a busy world. Help us
connect, stay on track, feel at ease and in control. [To help us be]
informed without being disrupted."

Jon's quote seems to contain a lot of "..." and "[]" editing.  A press
release would look nicer if we could get Jon's permission to reword the
quote to avoid needing such editorial corrections.

The GNOME 3 development foundation includes improvements in the display
backend, a new API, and improvements in search, user messaging, system
settings, and streamlined libraries.

The word "and" appears twice in this sentence, which seems awkward.

GNOME 2 applications will continue
to work in the GNOME 3 environment without modification, allowing
developers to move to the GNOME 3 environment at their own pace. The
GNOME 3 release notes include further details.

Matt Zimmerman, Ubuntu CTO at Canonical, praises GNOME 3: "In the face
of constant change, both in software technology itself and in people's
attitudes toward it, long-term software projects need to reinvent
themselves in order to stay relevant. I'm encouraged to see the GNOME
community taking up this challenge, responding to the evolving needs of
users and questioning the status quo."

In addition to improvements in user experience and the application
development framework, this release marks GNOME making its accessibility
framework available to other desktop environments. GNOME has always been
a leader in accessibility, making GNOME 3 a usable and productive

Could we say "free software accessibility"?

environment for everyone. The new release enables applications developed
for other desktop environments to be just as accessible as native GNOME
applications on GNOME 3. GNOME strengthens its legendary accessibility
foundation, and accelerates the pace of innovation across the Linux
desktop.

I would say "accelerates the pace of innovation on the desktop.".  There
is really no need to specify a particular kernel when making this
point.

GNOME 3 is the cumulative work of five years of planning and design by
the GNOME community. McCann notes: "Perhaps the most notable part of the
design process is that everything has been done in the open. We've had
full transparency for every decision (good and bad) and every change
we've made. We strongly believe in this model. It is not only right in
principle it is just the best way in the long run to build great
software sustainably in a large community."

In partnership with Novell, Red Hat, other Linux distributors, schools
and governments, and user groups, GNOME 3 will reach millions of users
around the world. Over 3500 people have contributed changes to the
project's code repositories, including the employees of 106 companies.
GNOME 3 includes innumberable code changes since the 2.0 release 9 years
ago.

You misspell "innumerable".

Users and fans of GNOME have planned more than a hundred launch parties
around the world. Users can download GNOME 3 from gnome3.org
immediately, or wait for Linux distributions to carry it over the coming
months. GNOME 3 continues to push new frontiers in user interaction.

I think the term "Linux" is unnecessary in the above sentence and could
be removed.

The GNOME Project was started in 1997 by two then-university students,
Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena. Their aim: to produce a free (as in
freedom) desktop environment. Since then, GNOME has grown into a hugely
successful enterprise. Used by millions of people across the world, it
is the most popular desktop environment for GNU/Linux and UNIX-type
operating systems.

I would more simply say "most popular free desktop environment".

The desktop has been utilised in successful,
large-scale enterprise and public deployments, and the project's
developer technologies are utilised in a large number of popular mobile
devices. For further comments and information, contact the GNOME press
contact team at gnome-press-contact gnome org.

[will add: quotes from: Miguel de Icaza & Stormy Peters (both have
agreed to provide quotes)]

Brian