Re: GNOME: numbers of users, patches/revisions

Dave Neary wrote:

<snip>
> > "GNOME 3 will reach [number] of users around the world."  What's a
> > reasonable number to predict?
>
> Ah, now we're getting into whether GNOME apps & platform + Unity = GNOME
> 3. Touchy subject...

We're primarily marketing GNOME 3 as the GNOME 3 desktop. It would seem
inconsistent to make claims about the take up of anything else.

<snip>
> > How many patches/code changes have been committed since the 2.0 release
> > 9 years ago?  (Tried viewing the repos, can't figure out how to get a
> > total like this.)
>
> You can make a list of the modules you're counting, do a git log -M for
> each of them, concatenate the results, and then run gitdm on the result.

The tricky part is determining which modules you include and which
periods of development you define as 'GNOME 3 development'. This will
vary from module to module: you'd want to include the whole development
history of new components like GNOME Shell and dconf. Existing modules
could probably be counted from 2.30.

You might also want to count the number of modules that have been
depreciated (and count the number of lines of code they contain). That's
another relevant metric.

The other problem is what you count as 'GNOME'. I tend to think that
'GNOME 3' is roughly equivalent to the contents of gnome-suites-core-3.0
[1]. I suspect that others might disagree.

Figuring this stuff out isn't an impossible task, but it would take a
bit of time and thought.

Allan

[1]
http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets/gnome-suites-core-3.0.modules