Re: Global Usergroups site

Hey Steven!

I got your emails a while ago (Andreas even asked for a quick answer), but I didn't have time to reply. Sorry for this late mail.

These months I'm working on several parts of the GNOME website, as part of Google Summer of Code. One of my 5 tasks for this summer is to “Create a new area on GNOME website that will focus on Community” (you should check all my tasks here).

Copying from my post:
My idea is to create a new subdomain in the GNOME website (maybe call it “community”, or “world” — as suggested by diegoe) that will group three things:
  1. The full list of members, located in the globe map (replacing this to use a much more dynamic system).
  2. Real time popping up balloons of what is happening in GNOME right now (including commits, blog posts, bug reports, wiki edits and translations). This can be done by integrating XML-RPC, REST or fetching RSS feeds will all those services. The geolocation would be known by the association of the email address. For example, if vdepizzol at gmail.com commits something, the system will know that this was done at Vitória, Brazil. The system will also have an area where the user can add himself, informing his email and other personal data. An admin area must be created to handle approval of such adds and to other minor edits.
  3. Provide a home for local groups. Now that the main website will be fully translatable, we need to find a place to keep the pages of the local groups around the world. And this subdomain looks like a great place for that.

Regarding the implementation, I'd use one single BuddyPress for everything. I'll create a plugin for WordPress that will integrate all the activities timeline of users with the GNOME systems (so, we would know when some user translates a project or submits a bug). And we would have the default "groups" support in BuddyPress to put together the users from user groups.

What do you think?

We really should keep in touch and work together on this since the objective is mostly the same :)

PS: Right now I'm working in task #2 of my GSoC (Projects/Applications area in the website). I'm about to start fully working on this next week.