Re: GNOME 3.0 Hackfest + 1 day conference for the launch(in Asia)

On 01/17/2011 04:32 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

Le lundi 10 janvier 2011, à 11:13 +0800, Frederic Muller a écrit :
On 12/14/2010 11:09 PM, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 07:09, Frederic Muller<fredm gnome org
<mailto:fredm gnome org>>  wrote:

    I'd like to echo the call we made to the release team here
    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2010-December/msg00031.html

    and get a consensus on which date works better around GNOME 3.0
    release (April 06) for each team to have a hackfest. We've been
    discussing the plan since September with various members of each
    team (to get the 3 teams together in a hackfest before a 1 day
    conference to celebrate GNOME 3.0 launch with the public in Asia)
    though emails and at the Boston Summit.

I think that only the first time frame makes sense from the marketing
perspective. I see little reason to conference about marketing after the
release date. But we don't *have* to have a marketing hackfest. If other
dates work better for other teams, feel free to opt for those.

Dear Documentation, Marketing and Release teams,

We've been moving forward with the conference preparation (in
Bangalore) and we now need to pick the best possible date for
everyone. We have potentially identified 2 options for the hackfest
+ conference dates, based on the survey and discussions with all the
party involved: The conference should be on a weekend to get most
people involved, and the hackfest before the release date (April 6)
and spreading over 5 days, having 2 optional days for people who
feel 3 days would be too short. That gives us either:
1. Wednesday March 30th to Friday April 1st: hackfest with 2
optional days on Monday 28th, and Tuesday 29th March
Saturday 2nd April: GNOME.Asia Summit 2011 (conference day)

2. Wednesday April 6th to Friday April 8th: hackfest with 2 optional
days on Monday 4th, and Tuesday 5th April
Saturday 9th April: GNOME.Asia Summit 2011 (conference day)

Of course any feedback on those dates is welcome and hopefully we
can find a good timing for all teams to prepare and get GNOME 3.0
out together.

We discussed this at the release team meeting yesterday, and here's our
opinion.

In both cases, I'd think we'd likely want the full week for the
hackfest.

Option 2 (4-8 April) is less useful than option 1 (28-1st), since we
believe the best opportunity is to have r-t&  marketing people together
to work on the final details before the release. By doing the hackfest
the week before the release, the release team could do some heavy
testing of the code during the last week, as well as preparing the
release to happen in an optimal way. And at the same time, it could help
the marketing team to clarify messaging when needed.

If option 2 is chosen, then we could work on the release itself, but the
last few days of the hackfest wouldn't be really useful since they're
after the release itself.

In the release team, Andre, Frédéric Péters and myself could possibly go
(assuming sponsorship from the Foundation).

Cheers,

Vincent

Dear Vincent,

Thank you very much for the response and commitment from your team to support the event. We will definitely target for the 1st option unless the local team comes up with an unreconcilable issue. We're actually IRC meeting today (Tuesday 18th) and should be able to confirm the date and get back to everyone.

Thank you.

Fred