Press list

Hi there,

I'd like to propose setting up a 'press list' which we can use for embargoed
pre-release information on announcements and cool stuff going on in GNOME. The
list would only be for selected journalists and low-traffic. I volunteer for
managing and I'm sure a few others would be able to help with that too.

I've seen this used in both KDE and openSUSE and it is a very effective way of
ensuring extra attention to announcements. Workflow is a bit like this:

- write announcement
- send draft of announcement + some extra info & quotes to the press list 2-3
days before the announcement. Mention it's under embargo and tell the press
when to release it.
- on the day of the announcement you can count on a few articles by press on
the ML they otherwise might not have written...

The ML would be one-way, max 2 mails/week and closely moderated. Anyone (so
all GNOME marketeers) will be able to send an info mail for the press to the
list but the moderators would have to let it go through. Obviously, spam on
that list is VERY BAD...

If the marketing heads on this list agree it's a good idea I would like to
know who to ask to set it up and who wants to help moderate it ;-)

Cheers,
Jos