Re: Some feedback on presentation..

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi Sri,

Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> I've written most of the presentation, but I would like some suggestions
> to improve it.  I'll be presenting it at Northwest Linuxfest this Saturday.

Thanks! Keep us posted how it goes.

First impressions are that the content is great, but needs to be more
graphic & less wordy.

I'd spread the whole thing out. Slides 3 & 4 are too wordy to me, and
could potentially be split over 10 slides:

Thank you, Dave for all your suggestions!  I really appreciate it.  I looked at hte slides again with fresh eyes yesterday and killed a bunch of them. As you and also Bryen said, it was very wordy.  My problem was that I was using the slides as talking points rather than just getting some fundamental idea on the slide.

Thank you for the links!  It's always great when someone takes an interest and takes the trouble of giving me good sources.

I'll check them out and incorporate htem.  I'll whip out another version later today.  I'm going to practice on my team at work.. my manager was interested in seeing what I was doing in this space.

If I can conquer this, the next talk.. an internal one at work will focus on "task based, distraction based computing" enabled by GNOME 3 for the corporate user should be fairly easy.

sri

(Slide #: text: image)
3: 2008 hackfest: photo maybe?
http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/gnome-ux-hackfest-photos/ for example
4: Design & user experience: Early mock-up(s) from wiki/pencil drawings
ideal - one candidate: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mairin/4384751226/
Another source:
http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/design/GNOME_Shell-20091114.pdf
Another: http://blogs.gnome.org/seth/2010/02/26/let-the-wild-rumpus-begin/
5: Release: Screenshot/video from http://gnome3.org/
6: Design principles: Something "designy" from Google Images (like
Charles de Gaulle airport maybe?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62904109@N00/2801145645/)
7: Clutter/distraction free: Screenshot of shell
8: Task focussed: Workspace switch screenshot (talk about Hamster
"workspace to task" feature!)
9: Document centric: Some kind of screenshot to show what this means -
perhaps something from Federico's 2008 GUADEC presentation
10: Revamp platform: No good ideas for an image here. Talk about
API/ABI, GTK+ revamp & GObject introspection, fewer dependencies,
consistent interfaces, etc.

You can then take the audience through a slideshow of screenshots
pointing out key features - I'd point to the revamped control center
too, even though it's still in progress (worth pointing out too).

And finally I'd replace slide 9 with some screenshots of core apps that
are ported to GNOME 3 or have been included as "featured apps" -
Shotwell, Totem, Rhythmbox, Simple Scan: http://www.gnome.org/applications/

This is also the opportunity to explain the revamping of the release sets.

Hope this is the kind of feedback you were hoping for!

Dude,you totally rock.. absolutely.  I was sorta in the dumps because I was feeling uninspired.  Thanks!

sri

Cheers,
Dave.

--