Re: GNOME 3 DVDs

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:09 -0700, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04/07/2011 10:04 AM, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> > Customs will get picky if you receive 100 DVDs. They'll try to charge
> > taxes even if it's tagged as a donation/gift.
> > We need to find out how to avoid that.
>
> Canonical handled this problem for years with the Ship-It program (which
> they recently closed down). Gerry Carr from Canonical would be a good
> person to ask about the practical issues related to a program like this.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave.

As I recall, the Ship-it Program sent individual CDs to requesters.
That's not the same issue as what Diego is raising, where shipments in
bulk get flagged by customs because they're seen as shipping commercial
goods for resale.

At openSUSE, we've certainly encountered some of those customs problems
and come up with some solutions.  I'm CC-ing our fearless Shipment
Coordinator, Andreas Jaeger to chime in with his experiences on this
matter.

Hopefully this mailing list allows non-subscribers to respond.  If not,
I'll copy his response in when he reads this.

Thanks,
Bryen