Re: Distributing distros under the GNOME Banner

On Monday 13 September 2010 12:33:56 Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bryen Yunashko wrote:
> > Does GNOME have a particular policy about providing distros in their
> > booths at events?
>
> None in particular. Past GNOME booths have distributed Ubuntu, Fedora,
> OpenSuse and Foresight liveCDs. Plus, the GNOME preview LiveCDs which we
> made for a while were also based on Foresight.
>
> I would recommend Fedora or Ubuntu as easy-access GNOME-based
> distributions. In certain situations it might make sense to distribute
> Vinux, Debian or GNUsense, depending on the public.

One thing you might want to consider is if you want to give away LiveCD's with a 'vanilla' GNOME or don't mind having a heavily modified GNOME... And if you want to give demo cd's with GNOME Shell already or not. And if you care about GNOME branding or not. Eg a LiveCD with vanilla GNOME and GNOME branding and the choice between GNOME Shell vs a CD which ships a heavily customized GNOME and little GNOME branding - I'd go for the former. Not saying there is much choice in that as you'd have to probably create them yourselves... The KDE dudes did that once with a 'Plasma Netbook reference implementation', something like that would be nice to have, right?

grtz
Jos