Re: Update on Mobile Giving

Hi Bharat,

Thanks for working on this. I added some comments and questions below. I think the idea is great and hopefully the questions help flesh out the plan or spark conversation.

Use Case #1 Gnome members / friends who would want to contribute on a monthly basis regularly.

I think we should target users as opposed to members of the Foundation. I would think that most members would have heard about Friends of GNOME by now. (But I could definitely be wrong.)

Are we asking people to sign up for an automated monthly payment? Or do we expect them to come back often?

All of these are things you'd see on your computer. I think I'd be unlikely to SMS while looking at my computer. Maybe there's some way we can run a test between this and non-computer ways? Have a different SMS word or something?

Which partners were you thinking?

Which events?

Do you have an idea for the google adwords text? Which keywords?

Are we trying to raise money for a particular cause? Or are we advertising a particular aspect of GNOME that we think would appeal to people SMSing?

Use Case #2 Event attendees @ Gnome related or sponsored events.

 Which events are you targeting?

Do you have an initial thought for what the cards would look like? I'd actually suggest more general cards for Friends of GNOME that include how to SMS. The FSF had some at the last event I was at. If you have an idea of the text, someone from the art team team could help with the design.

Use Case #3 Support a Project that needs funding

There's always projects ... The Outreach Program for Women needs funding right now. So do several hackfests.

Campaigns

Gnome Website

I think we need a cause or a particular aspect of GNOME that we target ...
like GNOME mobile or PyGTK+ or the Outreach Program for Women or ...

Next Steps

* Develop concrete plans. Identify cause, write text for campaigns, write text for fundraising card, identify partners, develop banners, approach partners, identify conferences.

Thanks!

Stormy