Getting user group contacts into the CRM

Hi all,

I'd like to see us start organising our GNOME User Groups, looking for
information on what various groups are up to, and encourage them in the
types of activities they want to do.

We have the gugmasters list, which is in theory a great resource for
GNOME User Group representatives. We have 52 members on that list right
now, and almost zero traffic for 2009.

How do people suggest we organise GNOME User Groups in CiviCRM? I
thought that each GUG should have a group (like a company) and members
of a user group would be people, with a "belongs to" relationship with
the user group.

This would give us a start on understanding who is representing the
various user groups, to begin with, and we can build from there with
campaigns like (for example) participation in software freedom day,
co-ordinating local press pushes in countries we're present in, and
generally taking advantage of the global nature of the organisation.

Sound good?

Cheers,
Dave.

--