Re: GNOME -> Gnome

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 08:08 -0500, Bharat Kapoor wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I am working on our mobile fund raising plan and many a times the
> question came up:
> Who are we?
> Why are we in this business?
> What's our grand vision?
> At least I could not find a consistent answer (I think I understand
> the essence) - maybe its ignorance on my part - but anyway.
>
> Now why do I bring all this up in this thread?
> The talk is about name or rename (if our mission is consistent with)
> GNU Network Object Model Environment - then stick with Gnome or GNOME
> (I dont have a preference) BUT if our mission / vision / goals are a
> little different now - maybe we want to think of renaming.
>
> But before we go that route would it be worth everyone spelling their
> view/vision in a couple of sentences.
> What we should DO and what we should NOT?
>
> I agree with Dave too - we dont have a huge brand equity maybe
> starting fresh may not be such a bad idea (assuming we have a strong
> reason tod o so)
>
> This should give us a clear direction if we need a name change or not.

I agree with the mission statement [1] must be changed/updated. There
are some points about this on the GNOME SWOT analysis [2] and Claus
Schwarm had made some comments recently [3]. I think this a topic worth
a new thread :)

However, GNOME is evolving all the time so IMHO we don't need a new
brand because of that.

regards,

  -- Juanjo

[1] http://www.gnome.org/about/