Re: FSF, terminology, and marketing

Baris:

There was a big discussion about GNU/Linux terminology usage in
documentation years ago. Here is the starting thread about that
discussion:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2006-July/msg00200.html

I didn't re-read whole discussion but I remember there wasn't any
terminology enforcement done by GNOME Doc Team about this.

I've also checked some marketing materials. GNOME 2.26 Release notes
does not have any mention of term "Linux", and in Quarterly Report only
places where Linux is used are either "Trademarks" or valid usage of
Linux as an operating system. And at homepage of gnome.org we already
use GNU/Linux.
In my honest opinion, as GNOME, our relationship with Linux is similar
to our relationship with BSD or Solaris kernels. If we won't call
GNU/Solaris, calling GNU/Linux everywhere wouldn't be a consistent
approach.

As you say, perhaps if there is not a real need to refer to "Linux" in
our writing, then we should more actively avoid using a controversial
term.  I often notice that when it is used, it is often used to mean
"any distribution which uses GNOME", which is, as you highlight, an
incorrect usage anyway.

Brian