Re: Speaking at RPI in New York

On Nov 2, 2009, at 10:45, Willie Walker wrote:

Hi All:

My parents live in upstate New York and I'm probably headed down to visit them over Thanksgiving. One of the routes I drive down to my parent's house takes me through Troy, so it might be a welcome driving break to stop by and give a talk, assuming I can talk my wife and son into hanging out somewhere for an hour and a half or so.

I'd also like to try to hook up with Ephraim Glinert (Professor Emeritus of Computer Science at RPI) if possible -- he was involved in some of the Java Accessibility API work we did back in the late 90's.

So, if RPI is not going to be shut down the week of Thanksgiving, I might be available to speak Mon-Wed.

Classes end for thanksgiving after the last class on Tuesday, just to let you know :-)

Will

PS - I'm also trying to hook up with the National Technology Institute for the Deaf at RIT in Rochester that week. If both RPI and RIT are available, it might get a little tight, but still fun.

Tim Horton wrote:
On Nov 2, 2009, at 04:22, Stormy Peters wrote:
Anybody in the New York area interested in speaking at RPI?
If anyone *is* interested in coming/talking and needs a place to stay, racarr and I have a couch you can happily crash on (we go to RPI, and live a few minutes off campus). We'd also *love* to have someone come visit and give a talk :-)
--Tim
Stormy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Luis Ibanez* <luis ibanez kitware com <mailto:luis ibanez kitware com >>
Date: Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: [TOS] FSOSS session notes
To: Stormy Peters <stormy peters gmail com <mailto:stormy peters gmail com >> Cc: Mel Chua <mel redhat com <mailto:mel redhat com>>, TOS <tos teachingopensource org <mailto:tos teachingopensource org>>, Will Schroeder <will schroeder kitware com <mailto:will schroeder kitware com>>, Badri Roysam <roysam ecse rpi edu <mailto:roysam ecse rpi edu>>, Mukkai Krishnamoorthy <moorthy cs rpi edu <mailto:moorthy cs rpi edu>>

Stormy,

This is a great idea, and it is very much needed.

We are currently running our "Open Source Software Practices" course
http://public.kitware.com/OpenSourceSoftwarePractice/index.php/Main_Page
at RPI (http://www.rpi.edu <http://www.rpi.edu/>) and will appreciate to have a visiting speaker
from the GNOME project.

Should we simply ask our name/course  to the page:

    http://live.gnome.org/GnomeEvents/Speakers   (?)

----

Here are several typical needs that an "Open Source Course"
have from "Open Source Projects":

a) Case studies:  for example, we cover a couple of sessions
   on "Governance and community management". We talk
about the projects that we manage (www.itk.org <http://www.itk.org/ >, www.vtk.org <http://www.vtk.org/>, www.paraview.org <http://www.paraview.org/>), but it is very useful to have other cases.
   We have used tele-participation in the past (if that helps)
   via Skype.

b) Class projects:     students must work on a FOSS as part of
   their grade. They tend to have difficulties identifying a
  community that they can join, and managing to find something
  interesting that can be executed in about 12 weeks (with about
  2~4 hours of work a week).

  Do you have a list of "low hanging fruit" in your bug tracker and
  or feature request list, that students could work on as part of
  their class project.

c) Talks to the larger community: (not just the class). This works
  better with a FOSS project representative visiting the school
  for on day. It will be great is someone from GNOME was
  available in the period from now to Dec 10.

We will be happy to provide more details if you are interested.

   Thanks

         Luis