Re: Open Video Guidelines (WAS: Re: [Foundations] Open Video Conference, NYU, June 19-20)

> How did it go?  I talked with J5 (John Palmieri) and he said he was going to
> represent GNOME there.  I am of course very interested in setting up
> something in this regard.  John had a pretty nice post on this and I'm eager
> to set up something where we can dogfood our video apps and be able to have
> a common site for tutorials and what not.

I was extremely impressed by the positive evolution of the FOSS video
editors. Not just in how they work, but in the better understanding
that the developers seem to now have of how video creators work.

As Paul mentioned, http://www.pitivi.org/ is probably the most
promising project that works right now.  Edward, the main developer,
is extremely open to feedback and understands that usability is the
biggest challenge. It's all being built on Gstreamer.

We also had a good long talk with one of the developers from VLC. He
showed us a video editor they are building (only a couple months into
development). I was also impressed how far along they are and their
striving to understand  of the video editing process. Because VLC has
a huge install base and cross-platform, this is very exciting.

Overall, I think most of us agreed that the incredible work people
have done the 8 years has really set the stage for a flourishing of
FOSS video editors. we have the libraries, the codecs, the
compression/transcoding engines. Now its really just the interface.

So try out: http://www.pitivi.org/
Its certainly not perfect yet, but better than anything ive tried so far.

Jay

--
http://ryanishungry.com
http://jaydedman.com