Re: Marketing Brief

Brian, that's good feedback, and I'll work on the wording in the competitive section.

One hope I had for putting it on the wiki help from collaborators.  Would you be willing to help with the accessibility section?  I have some docs team and GNOME Journal work over the next week or two, and could use the help.

Thanks.

Paul

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:

Paul:

The website currently says:

> Linux distributions, such as Fedora or Ubuntu, are usually the primary
> customer acquisition channel for GNOME's end users.  GNOME also serves
> the Linux development community, through tools in the GNOME Platform,
> such as GTK, that both foster development of the GNOME Platform and
> the applications included in the GNOME desktop and in distributions.
[...]
> Almost all end users for GNOME are acquired through the end user
> choosing to download and install a Linux distribution, such as Fedora
> or Ubuntu.  Hundreds of Linux distributions exist for users to choose
> from
[...]
> Other UNIX variants, including OpenSolaris and FreeBSD also ship
> GNOME.

Could the fact that GNOME is provided on non-Linux distributions be
made more clear without it reading like a footnote?

In the "Competitor Analysis" section I notice that there is no
information about accessibility.  It would be good to flesh this
section out with some information about this.  Would be good to touch
base with the gnome-accessibility-list to get input.  Also refer here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux

Brian

I'd like to preface this email with a couple thoughts.  I'd like to apologize for not continuing the brainstorming discussion in recent weeks, but something John said made me take a different approach.  John's right - a lot of this has been discussed before.  With that thought, I decided to write a Marketing Brief.  I used content that was in the wiki, on the web, and my own thoughts and opinions.

I'm currently at a docs conference, and one of our keynote speakers said something, that basically sums me up.  Doc writers are perfectionists, and don't like to send stuff out until it's "complete".

Well, as you'll see, the Brief is only 75% complete.  You will see comments and questions I have in parantheses and brackets, and whole paragraphs are missing, and a few more citations are needed.  I should know better about harnessing the power of community!

You can review it here:  http://live.gnome.org/MarketingBrief2009 - It's on the wiki - so edit, review, and give feedback.  If you disagree with any points I have, let's talk about it here on the list.

Additionally, on Tuesday when I return home from this conference, I will send out to the list 2 marketing campaign ideas for GNOME 3.0.  In addition to Claus' campaign idea he posted on the list last month, I think we can have some good discussion about that.

Thanks.

Paul