Re: GNOME 3.0 Roadmap - Promotion/Marketing

Lucas, thanks for the email.

I had been taking a slightly different approach, but I think we can figure it out.

For the BoF Stormy and I are giving at GUADEC, my hope had been to be able to share out our plan with the community at that time based on discussions on the list.

I sent the Brief out yesterday, and there are some things that need to be finished out.  I was going to send out 3 campaign ideas on Wednesday (2 of mine, and Claus') for discussion, and next weekend I was going to send out a calendar of events and marketing vehicles built in an OOo spreadsheet that I was going to attach to lgo.

In this calendar, it lays out a number of marketing activities, including (off the top of my head without looking at the doc):

* Creating presentations for volunteers to give at conferences / LUGs (they have a base to start from)
* Blog strategy (similar to FoG where we have a schedule of volunteers blogging once a week about FoG)
* Press kit (we can send journalists information about our new product release)
* Video campaign (This is an integral part of a marketing campaign I have)
* Interviews (Make members of the GNOME community available for interviews with the press, provide speaking points)

And a couple others.  All are zero cost.

In the spread sheet, the column headers are weeks, and I was shading the cells with 3 colors, one for planning, development, and implementation.  There are a number of marketing vehicles that we can deploy over time, as opposed to a "press release" which is released on a certain day and you're kind of done with.

This is probably a much more complex answer to your question than you wanted.  The goal of the marketing brief sent out yesterday is to answer some of these questions.

Paul