Re: Linux Foundation membership brings linux.com email address

So I'll be "that guy" and disagree.  As someone who was just accepted as a Foundation member, other than the validation from the community that I belong, the email address is a huge perk.

I also heard some buzz in the community that disparaged the Linux Foundation's idea for $99 a year - when you looked through their list of benefits, for the average user (not developer) the only real benefit was the email address.  I share that to a certain degree, especially if we changed our policy, as it kind of feels we're "selling out" for the money.

If we were going to do it, I like the idea that it's for monthly subscribers only.

My suggestion would to do something more similar to what Creative Commons did.  Their main URL is creativecommons.org, but for subscribers they have creativecommons.net.  The perks here are a home page to list your licenced works, custom badges for your website, and an OpenID from CC, but no email.  Is there a different domain we could offer for users / donors different from Foundation members?

My wishlist (and I know we don't have the resources, but I'll throw it out there) for users if they were to subscribe would be a mashup of:

* Custom domain with email address
* OpenID provider
* Custom badges (done!)
* Something similar to the Fedora Community that just launched where users would get a homepage where they could track or claim their favorite applications (instead of Fedora tracking packages)

Paul

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> wrote:
On 6/12/09, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:
> > Should we give Friends of GNOME, maybe monthly subscribers, gnome.org
> <http://gnome.org> email addresses?
>
>  +1.  This would also be a nice benefit to provide to Foundation members,
>  I'd think.

We already do and have done for several years.
http://live.gnome.org/MailAliasPolicy

Christian