Re: First version of GNOME amazon store online

On 07/20/2009 03:24 PM, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a first version of the amazon store online. I'd like to have
> some feedback and consensus where to go from here.
>
> The shop is online at
> http://www.gnome.org/friends/amazon/
>
> If you are using Firefox you see a highlight on the search box.
> Clicking on it enables you to add the "Amazon.com GNOME" search
> engine. It's just like the normal search engine as shipped with
> Firefox only the affiliate is set such that the GNOME foundation gets
> a percentage of the subsequent sale.

The shop looks good. The only question I had is if there is a way to
change the text of the header so it's not overlapping the people image.
> Basically the idea is to stimulate GNOME lovers to buy their stuff at
> the GNOME amazon store and/or use the "Amazon.com GNOME" search
> plugin. Does anybody know if the fees received for the plugin are the
> same as for a shop. I can't find anything about it on the amazon site.
> Seems to be a fixed percentage per product.

I believe the affiliate program is the same for either program.

> I've also added the other shop outside the US
> http://www.gnome.org/friends/amazon/ca
> http://www.gnome.org/friends/amazon/de
> http://www.gnome.org/friends/amazon/fr
> http://www.gnome.org/friends/amazon/jp
> http://www.gnome.org/friends/amazon/uk
>
> These pages don't contain a  shop yet (I prefer to have some feedback
> first), but they contain the search engine already.
>
> A note. I can't do much about how the shop looks. I'm just embedding
> http://astore.amazon.com/gnomestore-20 in a iframe. Amazon just allows
> me to play with some colors, fonts and which categories I want to add

For categories, specifically the GTK books - does anybody know how old
those books are? Are they still relevant?
> Things I'm still planning on doing
> 1) Switching between the shops by putting links to the other shops on
> each of the shop pages
> 2) Add a link to the firefox extension I talked about earlier. I
> already submitted it to addons.mozilla.org
> 3) Add a link on which you can click to install the searchplugin

Those are all great ideas!