Re: New Project: GNOME YouTube Video Contest

We could have people submit ogg videos with the appropriate creative commons license to our website and then we could submit them to YouTube (or not) or where ever we wanted. Where ever we put them we could point back to the original version. Ideally pages where we could tag them well so Google would find them ...

Stormy

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 15:51 -0700, Stormy Peters wrote:
> How about a video contest for GNOME desktop tips and howtos? (Sriram
> Ramkrisha had this great idea on IRC and I thought I'd bring it over
> to the marketing list.)
>
> Users upload them to YouTube and we put them all in one channel.
>
> Working with Google, we might be able to also sign up for the YouTube
> partner program for them.
>
> Benefits:
>       * Lots of howto videos for GNOME related technologies. (Lots of
>         technologies and companies are successfully using video to
>         help out new users now. Lately I've watched several really
>         useful ones for some really simple things.)
>       * Help GNOME users that are googling for answers
>       * Generate excitement around GNOME
>       * Generate word of mouth marketing for GNOME technologies
> Work/Costs:
>       * Marketing the contest, getting people to submit videos
>       * Setting up a YouTube channel for people to submit to
>       * Working with Google to see if we can get our channel signed up
>         for the YouTube
>       * Picking a prize
>       * Providing the prize
>       * Making videos! :)
> Anybody want to help?

Would it be possible for us to collect these screencasts
somewhere where we can later reference and redistribute
them?  We'd want to have them in an open format like Ogg
for this.  Also, can we require some sort of free content
license for them?

I'm imagining a sad scenario where we get a lot of initial
hype, and then the videos disappear into obscurity.  Now
I'm imagining a scenario where we get some great tutorials
and integrate them into our help system so that all of our
users can easily find them and benefit.  Guess which one
puts a smile on my face.

--
Shaun