GNOME 2.24 press release

Better late than never, I think we should put together a press release.

I believe it should be short and highlight at most 3 things/themes. Or at least the first paragraph should say everything important and highlight at most 3 things and then the rest of the press release can include more detail.

Here's the three I'd suggest just from reading the release notes:
  • First release of the GNOME Mobile development platform. GNOME mobile technologies are already used in a number of mobile solutions such as Maemo, the ACCESS Linux Platform, the LiMo reference platformUbuntu MobileMoblin and Poky. With this release, mobile developers can download all the GNOME technologies they need in one place.
  • A new suite of communication tools: audio/video conferencing (Ekiga), new instant messaging client (Empathy), even better digital tv, and deskbar plug-ins to bring the web and tools to your environment. (Might be better just to highlight audio/video conferencing tool.)
  • Continued support of the core GNOME values with enhanced accessibility features and support for developers. (Could list a few examples.)

Here's the entire list of things I got from the release notes:
  • An instant messaging tool (Empathy) based on Telepathy. (Why is this better than other IM clients? Or why would I choose to use this one?)
  • Time/activity tracking.
  • Audio video conferencing (Ekiga)
  • File management improvements: compact view, tabs, better support for USB drives
  • Deskbar plug-ins: calculator, google search, Twitter/identica, Yahoo, Wikipedia
  • Screen resolution: easier control of multiple monitors
  • Sound themes based on Freedesktop.org specs which allows you do things like get your alerts even when using multimedia apps
  • Digital TV improvements: multiple tuners, (remote) text subtitling, high resolution YouTube videos
  • Contest for backgrounds (People always like to hear about contests and this one had pretty results so we could call it out at the end as a story.)
  • Continued accessibility improvements
  • Continued developer improvements
  • GNOME Mobile development platform
Stormy