Re: free graphic excitement

On 9 Sep 2008, at 00:40, Andre Klapper wrote:

Am Montag, den 08.09.2008, 14:38 -0500 schrieb James Coddington:
http://www.soaringbrain.com/GnomeTest2.swf

(Personal feedback, not speaking on behalf of Marketing team:)
From a technical point of view I wonder how much slower this will make
login time. "If we still have a splash screen in ten years, we have done
something wrong." (I think I quoted dobey here.)
Also wondering if this would annoy me when I log in for the, say, 30th
time.

Inclined to agree-- might be worth showing once per user, though, like the "Welcome to OSX" sort of thing that Apple do. After that, probably just leave it somewhere that people can find it again, if they want to.

Could be interesting to use this sort of technology to do a GNOME desktop tour video, though, especially if it was updated to highlight the coolest features in each release :) (Although one problem that's always existed with that idea is that not all distros ship all GNOME features, and/or add their own...)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team