Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

Dave Neary wrote:
My view is that if people all over the world are using the GNOME desktop
moas their primary computing environment, people in Thailand won't decide
not to use it because of the foot.

My other view is that (as has been said repeatedly on this list) GNOME
does not have a direct relationship with the consumer - the GNOME brand
is strong among distributors, Linux application developers, and
enthusiasts. Outside of that, the brand people see is Ubuntu, Debian,
Red Hat, ... So I'm not convinced that changing the logo will even gain
us any new users.
I think we can look into how we can reduce the presence of the logo in the actual interface (like with the throbber). I agree that it would be a costly operation to change it, and we might end up designing something that could offend some other cultural group.
- Andreas