Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

Am Mittwoch, den 29.10.2008, 19:03 +0100 schrieb Thilo Pfennig:
> Dave Neary schrieb:
> > Whenever I hear people propose abandoning an old logo completely, this
> > question comes back to me:
> >
> I did not propose this just for fun. If it means that GNOME will never
> be used in maybe 1/4 of the worlds countries it would be stupid not to
> change. The question is if one wants to neglect cultural differences.

What about the other 3/4 that will be confronted with another logo and
might not be able to link it against the GNOME brand they know?

If it's really 1/4 it's bad, but if it's "only" 1/30 I'd call it
multicultural reality on this world.

Come up with anything that you consider "non offending" and I will
probably find some culture where it IS offending. ;-)
GNOME 3?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_(number)#As_a_lucky_or_unlucky_number
Probably not enough reason to avoid 3... but GNOME 4?
Considered an unlucky number in CKJ, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4_(number)#In_other_fields .
Enough reason to avoid 4?
*shrug*

andre