Re: news.gnome.org

2008/10/5 Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>:
>> Another problem with syndicated content is that each source will have
>> different conten licenses. Also if you link to outside sources you are
>> actually loosing visitors.

FFS. Our goal is not some magical content maximization scheme. We're
just trying to get news out. (Not to mention that the whole reason
news.gnome.org is now a planet-like aggregator is because we suck at
creating our own news feeds.)

>> So I think news.gnome.org should work more on
>> content it owns and can choose the license it wishes. The current site
>> states that the content listes above is copyrighted by the GNOME
>> project, while linked blog entries like
>> http://www.lbtechservices.com/blog/2007/09/27/future-of-lat/ explicitly
>> state: "(c) 2008, Loren Bandiera's weblog. All Rights Reserved."
>
> Per the Berne convention, stuff is automatically copyrighted. An
> additional copyright mention doesn't add any additional value.
>
> IIRC All Rights Reserved is frowned upon. Best not to use it.

It is... not in keeping with our goals.

> news.gnome.org in above stuff is nothing different than any of the other
> planets. The copyrighted by GNOME might make it confusing, but that is
> something for some legal person to guide.

The 'copyright (c) GNOME' language should definitely go from both
p.g.o and n.g.o.

I recommend replacing with: 'All syndicated content (c) the original authors.'

Luis